Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snowy January Days

Glimmer
Many people complain about the snow & cold, but I like it. We are so busy during the summer. Winter is when I get caught up on my paperwork, have the chance to read some of my sheep books, spin, knit, and cook hearty meals.

Ellyssa
The sheep like winter too. They barely notice the cold. Hesperis
During the winter, I always try to attend
at least one sheep workshop.

Grettle
I went to one today, just south of Chicago. The main reason I wanted to attend, was because they had a lab class on Fecal Sample Analysis. We learned how to prepare fecals to look at under a microscope,
then determine what parasite eggs were in them.

Gardenia
I have books outlining the procedure,
but nothing beats a hands on class!

Claire, Charlotte (sisters) & Delphine
Here's a link to the wonderful handout we received:
GUIDE TO INTERNAL PARASITES OF RUMINANTS
Other classes were on record keeping, pastures, etc.
A very worthwhile day of learning!

No comments: