Friday, January 8, 2010

Farm Accidents

I went out to feed tonight and found Falla dead! Somehow, she had gotten her horn caught on the manger, flipped over, and strangled herself. UGGGHHHH!!!!! This was one of my most prized yearlings. Not the friendliest of girls, but with valuable new bloodlines to our flock. She was bred to Finn, and since he carries spotting, those lambs would have been spotted beauties. It's times like this that I kick myself, thinking, why didn't I go out to feed before starting dinner? What could I have done to prevent this? She will certainly be missed. Her brother is Fudge, and now I'm really glad that we used him as a breeding lamb last year, so the genetics won't be totally lost. Even with a flock of 40 ewes, I find losses like this very sad.


5 comments:

Kenleigh's Fiber Studio said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. It is hard not to beat yourself up, but know there was probably nothing you could have done. Owning horned sheep can be so difficult sometimes. It is especially hard to lose the special ones.

Kelly said...

Oh Terri, I'm so sorry to hear about Falla. I hate accidents like this and I think it is in our nature to always find what if's. I always fear this happening. Even after we got the sheep home the other day I kept going out to make sure they were ok. In the back of my mind I was worried that they would have been stressed too much with the ride. So sorry about Falla.
Kelly and Alex

tonya said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss there on your farm. She was a real beauty.

Terri said...

Thank you so much for the kind thoughts. As much as I loved the horns of my sheep, I hate the problems they can cause.

katiegirl said...

Oh no! I hate when things like that happen. So sorry. :-(