Monday, March 29, 2010

Poor Faith

Her little ram lamb didn't make it. A sad start to the lambing season, but things can only improve from here, right? His breathing was never quite right, very labored. My mom, a retired nurse is visiting, and we tried every trick in the book, but it just wasn't meant to be.
Faith was very sad. This was her first lamb. We have started to milk her now, and she has been the calmest ewe I've ever milked. Her teats are tiny, so it's not easy. She is so relaxed, tolerant and sweet, though.
This may sound gruesome, but I had my husband skin the dead lamb. We put the pelt in the frig. We should have ewes lambing in the next day or two. If one has twins or trips, we will try to graft one onto Faith. She is an eager and accepting mother, and it won't hurt to try!

6 comments:

Kirkland Acres Rabbitry And Farm said...

takes special people to lead the farm life. Hang in there. I'm sure healthy lambs are to come.

Kirkland Acres Rabbitry And Farm said...

takes special people to lead the farm life. Hang in there. I'm sure healthy lambs are to come.

Marie said...

So sorry to hear that he did not make it. It is always hard. Hope everyone else has no problems.
Marie

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. It is really hard to start lambing season badly. I hope you are able to graft a lamb onto her. I find the ewes crying over a lost lamb is sometimes harder than actually losing the lamb. Good luck!

Kelly said...

Oh I so don't know if I can do this. We just had our first ram and the discussion about how he gets no name cause he will end up as meat. Ted has announced he will eat nothing from the farm. How can I ever explain skinning to graft lambs to him. Sometimes I think we're headed for zoo status instead. Alex

Terri said...

Thank you for your kind comments. Faith is feeling much better, kicking up her heals with the yearlings, so that makes me feel better for her. Now, we have a new problem... more to come later.