Saturday, April 4, 2009

Anna Lambs!

Finally! New lambs! I wasn't expecting Anna to be the first to go...she wasn't all that big. I took a peak into the barn after lunch, and saw she was in labor. I ran into the house to get the camera, and white ram #1 was already out. An easy birth without a trace of meconium staining. Drea, the ewe that aborted a couple of weeks ago was right there, ready to steal the little guy. I had to shoo her out of the barn. The yearling ewes were so curious. I put Anna and her first lamb into the lambing jug so she could continue in peace. It didn't take long, and lamb#2 was out, another WHITE RAM!! Finn is the sire. We have several other ewes bred by him, and I'm sure hoping he passes on some color. Anna's little lambs were so vigorous, nursing and bouncing all over. It was over two hours before they all settled down for a nap.
Icelandic lambs should weigh between 5-7 lbs. at birth. These guys were 6 and 6.5 lb., so I'm very happy with that.
Anna had a terrible case of mastitis last summer, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her and her babies. So far, all is looking good!

No comments: